Thursday, September 17, 2009

Publix, Where Shopping Was Not a Pleasure


USUALLY shopping at Publix is a pleasure. It's a good company that does a lot philanthropically and most of the time, employs good people that at least pretend to love customers.

But today I felt like saying, "Oh jeez, I'm so sorry I had to bother your important work to order a cake. Let me go, ah, like crawl under a hole or something since I dared to interrupt you."

Brief background: I needed to order this Twitter cake to help my work celebrate the fact that we had reached 1,000 followers. (I know. Don't even start on me.) So the first thing I encounter as I approached the bakery counter is one lady asking another one to go ahead and "take me." She loudly replies, "Like I ain't got anything I'M tryin' to do."

The obvious message: "Welcome to my miserable world of bread and cake hell. I hate your guts because you are stading here. You probably want something stupid."

I won't bore you with the dialogue, but literally, she had a problem with every aspect of the order, from the date I wanted the cake, to the size, to...yeah, the design. I did arrive with several Twitter logos and graphics for the cake. Evidently, it was somewhat complicated and extra annoying of me. My secret hope: that the cake is an absolute fugly disaster. I will have a good submission for Cake Wrecks.

So here's to you, Publix! When customers stand in the way of getting work done, it totally bites.

1 comment:

bernthis said...

customer service today is the of the most important factor in a business. wish stores would get that down a bit better