Monday, March 23, 2009

Sarcastic Sentiments: A new direction for Hallmark?

I'm one of a dwindling few who loves to send greeting cards just for the hell of it.

Hubbie gets furious when asked to sign cards for Halloween, Thanksgiving and especially Valentine's Day--that particular 24 hours being "the holiday that Hallmark just made up"--a fact he reminds me of every February. But today on the card aisle, he was jovial and right on point.

I got to see the worst of someone today and am pretty annoyed about it. But hubbie isolated a perfect selection of cards I could send to address the situation....after adding some choice sarcastic comments to the inside.

Manipulating "congratulations" sentiments, "thinking of you" wishes and other common card slogans to fit my frame of mine seemed to ignite a new spark of Hallmark affection in hubbie. Once on a roll, the comments started flowing like a heated Jerry Springer guest. I've never seen him like this anywhere near paper products.

Hallmark, this could be a new direction for you. Just like those anti-motivational posters, sarcastic sentiments represent the other side of your typical clientele. Can't you be about the whole person too?

2 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

I'm a greeting card nut as well. However, I'm currently miffed at Hallmark because in three different stores I couldn't find a card for someone becoming a US Citizen.

I LOVE the Papyrus cards but I won't be able to afford those for long.

Mixed Reflections said...

FURTHERMORE, Hallmark's good selection of e-cards is being compromised by nearly all of them being tagged with a 0.99 price tag. Pay for an e-card....are they nuts?

Elysian Fields has super good cards.