Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where's it at?

I don't think I can be convicted of being a Grammar Nazi solely for my severe agitation with the word "at" placed at the end of a sentence, where it most certainly does not belong. So I have to tell you, I've had it. If I hear one more person say any of the following, I cannot be responsible for the words that emerge from my mouth:
  • I can't remember where I left that paper at.
  • Now, where were we at?
  • Oh vacation! Where are you staying at?

Frankly, (and perhaps arguably), "at" poses the greatest violation of the "no prepositions at the end of a sentence" rule. Most of the time, the "at" is completely superfluous. Take the "at" out of any sentence above, and it's not only just fine without it, but it's far superior (not to mention proper).

No, you won't hear me say "With whom did they ride?" Although technically correct, it's a little stuffy. The use of "at" as the final word, however, is totally uncool. I have noticed some people get so carried away with it, they might as well add it to every sentence.

In short, at is abused at great lengths at attempts to add extra words where they shouldn't be at.

2 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

When someone says "where's it at" to my husband he replies "behind the at" - he feels the same way you do, lol. (i also agree)

Christina Pitchford, PA said...

On his 80th birthday, Mitch received a gift certificate from his wife Louanne. The certificate was for a visit to a medicine man who was rumored to have a wonderful cure for erectile dysfunction.

Mitch drove out to the medicine man's reservation and handed him his ticket. The medicine man handed over a potion but warned, "This is powerful
medicine and it must be respected. Take only a teaspoonful and then say
'1-2-3'. As soon as you do, you will become manlier than you have ever been in your life and you will be able to perform as long as you want."

The Mitch was encouraged. As he walked away, he turned and asked,
"How do I stop the medicine from working?"

"Your partner must say '1-2-3-4,'" the medicine man responded. "But
when she does, the medicine will not work again until the next full moon."

The old man was very eager to see if the potion worked, so he went
home, showered, shaved, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then called for Louanne to join him in the bedroom.

When she came in, he took off his clothes, said, "1-2-3!" and
immediately, he was the manliest of men.

Louanne threw off her clothes and jumped into bed with him. She
kissed him and purred, "What did you say 1-2-3 for?"

And that, boys and girls, is why we should never end our sentences
with a reposition - for one will end up with a dangling participle.