Monday, July 6, 2009

Random recycled food worry

Tonight after our Thai dinner, the waitress brought us a pair of almond cookies. Isn't that weird?

We didn't order them and didn't especially want them, but in one quick and thoughtless motion, husband swiped one of them up and licked it. "That's so they won't recycle them and put them on someone else's table," he said.

Naturally, as soon as the words came out, the obvious thoughts came to both of us:

A. How would anyone know they were licked?
B. What if someone already had this same exact dessert in front of them?
C. And what if they, too, licked the cookies?

We finally decided to break the cookies in half.

I know, it's weird. This entire commentary, the dessert choice and our thought process is ridiculous. Why do you think I'm sharing it?

But think about it. In this economy, can we count on all restaurants to refrain from the urge to recycle "untouched" bread, remains of big salads that arrive for the whole table, etc.? I hope to hell we can, but it's a distinct possibility they recycle food. Yes, green can go too far.

2 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Well, once the food hits a customer's table then it's a health code violation to serve it to another customer.

I know, that doesn't necessarily mean that the restaurant won't "recycle". I think I'll eat at home for a weeks. Thanks Gropey.

Anonymous said...

You two are just plain weird. And remind me never to eat anything at your house. I'm sure you'll have Flanders lick it first!