Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Insomnia--Pour Yourself a Cup

Ideally, I would have a burning project that I just have to stay awake for. Or a great movie that is available only at this hour. But there's not much begging for a page-turning during this 1 am book of late November. I'm just up in a quiet house and even the dog has no interest in joining me.

So for now, blogging is the new reading--the new sheep counting--of a night without sleep. I probably did it to myself, hitting the sack at 8:30 pm after what seemed like an energy sucking day. Naturally, I'm annoyed, knowing that deep sleep will hit just before the alarm goes off. But instead of bitching, I thought I'd list a few things I'm really grateful for:
  • Having a job. I know it sounds dumb, but really, I am so grateful. Things are pretty rough out there for a lot of people, and I'm thankful to be employed without a large, looming threat of "walking Spanish." (Read "And Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris if you haven't already...it's hilarious.)
  • Two living parents. Nerd & mom, are you reading this? Yep, I'm pretty thankful everyday that you're around and I don't take your presence and everything you do for granted. Mean it.
  • A husband who's willing to go get new tires for me, do most of the cooking (to save himself from nasty casseroles), and be a supporting, caring partner. (Hey, I buy dinner a lot of the time, do the laundry, clean, and other stuff!)
  • The reminder that I'll never get time back...ever. I probably think of this way too often (to the point of it being a doom and gloom type of thing), but I'm glad to live in the reality that I need to cherish each moment, even if it's the wee hours of the morning and I can't sleep.

What are you grateful for these days, and are you sleeping at night?

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

Sleeping fitfully these days but I have so much to be grateful for. More than I can even begin to list ... I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful for YOU, G vs E. rl

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for the holiday songs of One Rib. What an excellent compilation.