Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Had to Do It

I've debated and debated about this. But despite my best efforts to keep Gropius politics-neutral, this is after all my blog and I am afforded the opportunity to say what I want. (Just as you readers are afforded the opportunity to comment...)

So hear it is: I can't remember a time when I felt as hopeful, inspired, excited and frankly down right proud of my country as I was last night.

When I heard Barak Obama, our new leader speaking for the first time as president-elect, I could not keep a spot on my cheeks dry. The words, though reflective and carefully chosen, were secondary to the meaning behind our country's choice. And for once, I felt that the man was secondary to the message. It's the first time I can recall feeling the authenticity of a leader who is more about the voice of the people than himself.

In the eyes of the young voters, the old voters, the black voters and the white voters that the camera spanned, there wasn't a single cocky look of conquest. Instead there was a look of sincere gratitude, hope, eagerness and willingness to continue in being part of the change that needs to happen. You see, that is who Barak is for me. Not someone who will be that change, but who will help all of us be the change. From a campaign that thrived on small donations from many and from being the voice of people who have had enough of not being heard, real action rose out of what had become apathy. And it's just the beginning.

I will add that John McCain's concession speech was remarkably eloquent and beautiful. He and Obama complimented each other in presenting the need for unity bridging our differences, whether they are differences of party, color or religious beliefs.


There's hope if you're a McCain-lover...My Gropius message for you is three-fold:

1. Echoing Obama, who said in his acceptance speech that he will be your President too, I'm still your blogging friend. I hope you will still be mine.
2. A blogosphere is a terrible thing to waste: start your own and share.
3. You're always welcome to comment here.

And finally, if you're a fellow Obama fan, please be liberal in sharing your post-election thoughts on Gropius!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched Obama's acceptance speech again and I more inspired than ever. I am so excited, proud and ready to help our country get better. And knowing that Obama is in the highest position fills me with the utmost confidence. And that is why I voted for him. Because I always felt like he would have my best interests at heart. I trust him. I appreciate him. And I admire everything he has done.

Anonymous said...

As someone wrote in a Swedish newspaper "It's going to be great to be a US friend in Sweden again" As a US citizen and Swede I agree with all of my heart!