Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Bowl of Dry, Romaine Lettuce

I guess I shouldn't complain since it was romaine, not iceberg. But really, Loews Hotel, really. This is a four star hotel on South Beach. Today during our keynote luncheon, a giant bowl of completely dry romaine lettuce (i.e. no dressing, no croutons, no shredded parm) was placed in front of me. The consolation prize for the token vegetarian was something a resort should be embarrassed about. I had no choice but to eat and laugh. And really, there are starving people in the world. I should shut up and be grateful.

Yet this evening, after walking a mile to our conference restaurant, I was getting a little on the angry side to find that none of our menu choices included anything remotely vegetarian. The substitute...a bowl of spaghetti. Hmmmm... in a place of such culture and international flavor, is this really the best you can do, Miami? One meal I can deal with. But after a few days of no sustenance but a little roughage and lots of carbs, I'm starting to feel really, really tired. Tired of crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerome never really cared for dry romaine either

Anonymous said...

oh honey! they should be drawn and quartered! say it isn't so, sobe! you're absolutely right, such a bastion of (high priced) culinary snobbery and sophistication can't come up with a real vegetarian meal? gianni versace must be rolling in his velvet lined grave. you must be all skin and bones by now. can't wait to see you. miss you bunches!!! lots to download to us!