Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Songs that Get Stuck in An Annoying Loop In Your Head

  1. The theme song from the Golden Girls, "Thank You for Being a Friend." Don't ask how this made the re-entry into the Gropius brain.
  2. I've Gotta Feelin' (Black Eyed Peas). Okay I LOVE that song, but not when the same lyrics circulate for hours in a hopeless nonverbal thought-ball.
  3. That piano ditty from The Peanuts.  Annoying. So annoying.
  4. You're the One That I Love, from Grease of course. Another fun song, except when it won't disappear.
  5. Baby Come Back, making a new appearance into pop culture, courtesy of the Swiffer commercials that run every five seconds. The only other words I know are "You can blame it all on me."  It's implanted firmly in a mental broken record for days after I hear it.
  6. The theme songs from Law and Order (da-da da da daaaaa) & The Apprentice (that Money, Money, Money, Moooo-oooney song).  Oh help.
  7. The chicken dance song. No, I don't have it on my iPod. They play it at baseball games. And it makes me want to dive in a stream of silence. Or into a really loud noise to drown it out forever. Or jump off a bridge.
  8. "I am sitting in the morning at the diner on the corner... Du du du-du  Du du du-du  Du du du-du du-du du-du..."  Did you know there's actually a ring tone to Tom's Diner you can purchase?  Om....I would literally go insane if that was the ring tone on my phone, a co-worker's phone, Husband's phone, or any phone I was in range of.
  9. More than Words. Remember that band called Extreme? More than Words was probably their most well-known song, and guess what...it drives me up the freaking wall. I don't think it's sweet--it's annoying. I'm still hearing it today, years after it first hit the air waves. Someone make it stop.
  10. I hate to rat on Cat Stevens. He's a good boy who has done so much to promote peace in the world, and not only through his music. He crafted some pretty good songs. Except in their own way, they can get a little repetitious and bothersome--like Peace Train and Wild World.  It takes some serious mental work to remove them from my head. The limited lyrics I know continue that same revolution of "baby baby it's a wild world..."
So many sounds...silence is a good one sometimes.

9 comments:

M L Jassy said...

"Saying 'I love you' is not the words I want to hear from you/it's not that I've tried to/blah blah blah/if you only knew/my reeeeeasons/it would to SHOW. You. How. I FEEEEEEEEEl/more than woooooo-ooooords, is all you ever needed to show/then you would-n't have to sa-eeay that you loo-oovvved/coz I'd. already. know. la di dah dah di dah...." ... that disgustingly sugar-encrusted ballad we thoroughly enjoyed as hyper-hormonal 11 year olds.

Erica@PLRH said...

For the past TWO WEEKS it's been Lady Gaga' "Poker Face."

Marvin said...

They're also re-using Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science" on a commercial. I'm glad you're not hating that one. ;-)

I agree, BEP's "I Gotta Feeling" gets old after the 30th time through the brain.

I think "More than Words Can Say" was Extreme's WORST song. Not nearly as good as this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEO9JPiaU6g

Suzanne Vega sucks, usually. That's why it took another band to make her famous. I like this version MUCH better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6fVh0EnjVM

nursemyra said...

Currently I have no earworms taking up space in my brain. I hope reading about More Than Words doesn't change that for me :-(

Mr. Charleston said...

I guess I'm the only one who's reading this while humming Teddy Bear's Picnic.

SuziCate said...

Oh no! Now, they're all running through my head...will they ever go away?!

ballast photography said...

I was just thinking the other day that I've not been listening to an uncharacteristically low amount of music lately...which could be why I haven't had any stuck in my head recently...but I plan to update my ipod tonight, so all that will likely change :)

Anonymous said...

A raw egg thoroughly mixed in half a glass of vinegar and downed all at once will clear out any annoying song that gets between you and your life.

Notary Sojac

Smokie Stover

Anonymous said...

P. S. on using the egg in vinegar treatment. Be sure to use cider vinegar. Wine vinegar is too strong and may temporarily remove memories you want to keep. And white vinegar, a chemical distilled from vinegar and which is not really vinegar at all, is so strong it will remove those same memories permanently.

Notary Sojac on a fine morning,

Smokey Stover