Monday, October 18, 2010

A Changing Doctor's Office

I often consider how absurd it is for me to have the luxury of health insurance and accessibility of medical care and to hate--dread--going to the doctor's office so much. It really is terrible of me.

A good friend I reconnected with this weekend was telling me that she's working in a doctor's office while she's going back to school. Working at the reception area, she is often at the receiving end of complaints from people who are sick, exhausted, frustrated and angry about their loss of mobility, fear over their condition and the whole mix of emotion that comes when you're not well.

True to the fashion she wears each day of life, she sees it as her duty not just to check in the patients as assigned, but to give them a warm and genuine smile, to make conversation to put them at ease, and to embrace them as if she truly cares about the whole person standing there--not just getting them to sign the requisite clipboard necessary for admittance.  So quickly, the same people who came in with rigidity, apprehension, tension and fear start to relax and feel that everything just might be okay.

From one or two simple acts stemming from her caring, she transforms what most people dread into something they can deal with. It separates the factory feel of the clinical setting to a nurturing atmosphere that is the prelude to healing. 

I realized through this conversation that half of my "doctor's office dread" comes from the straight-faced, empty method of meet and greet in most of the practices where I've been seen. You're going in for something deeply personal to you--your body, right?  And most of the time, it's more about the insurance card, the almighty clip board and of course the tons of medical pamphlets that have colorful diagrams of your intestines and heart and reproductive organs. Good GRIEF, would it kill them to put up a freaking happy painting or something?

I'm so proud of my friend. We talked about her feelings that this job is a step down, since she used to have a position with much greater responsibility. But I feel that she's there for a reason. Not just to lift the atmosphere of the place, but to really make a difference in the lives of people who need it. And let's face it, we all need more positivity.

I never underestimate the power of someone's kindness. And when you're sick, facing serious illness, or walking into the uncertainty of what is unknown and scary, a friendly face is more precious than anything I can imagine.  She sets a great example. And we can follow it wherever we work, shop, eat or play.

7 comments:

M L Jassy said...

That's an inspiring little vignette, as it certainly does help to have a reassuring atmosphere in an otherwise unpleasant situation. Must remember to stay positive!

nursemyra said...

Very similar to my job... and I love it too.

Erica@PLRH said...

So true. A little bit of kindness can go along long way and it doesn't take that much time or effort.

SuziCate said...

Your friend is a gem. My hubby and I were recently talking about how people have lost pride in their jobs. So many just go through the motions without true empathy or zeal. It is refreshing to find those that truly care about their work.

KB said...

I used to think these folks were detached because they were either bored or protecting themselves from personal involvement. After a lifetime of working with providers I've learned it's a matter of individuality. I've met some wonderful heart-lightening medical staff who could bring warmth and cheer into any setting (even a colonoscopy). If someone is aloof it's a choice they've made, not a job requirement.

Bear Trap said...

Great post!! The doctor's office does not need to be dreaded. It is so nice when you meet that pleasant face as opposed to the rotten one.

ballast photography said...

We need people like your friend in every doctor's office! I think personality should be factored into the interviewing for any doctor's office job. Several years ago, I had a cancer scare that was made much worse by the grumpy face and rigid attitude at my doctor's front desk. I hope your friend receives the appreciation she's due!