Sunday, October 3, 2010

Becoming My Grandmother

I'll never forget the fateful trip to Greenville, North Carolina for my parents' high school reunion.

I was in elementary school, probably in 6th grade, and that would have placed my brother in 3rd grade. I had been dying to see Dirty Dancing of course. With my parents gone for the evening, it was the perfect opportunity for Grandmother to take us to the movies. The two hours we would spend together with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey would form the basis for a lifetime of hilarity.

Not believing the "dirty" dancing scenes of Dirty Dancing proved to be the tip of the proverbial iceberg. After that, there were other things to worry about, like sex. The line my grandmother uttered loud enough for everyone in three rows to hear has lived on in stories ever since...

(Say in deep Southern accent) "If there is one more suggestive scene, we are leaving this theater!"

I remember silence on the way home. The next day was filled just as much with talk of who was fat, who never married, etc. as it was filled with Grandmother uttering her disbelief at the inappropriateness of Dirty Dancing. Grandmother wasn't the type to keep bringing something up, but you could tell it continued to bother her.

Fast forward 23 years, and I am becoming my Grandmother.

I literally cannot believe the crap in movies "these days." (Ah yes, another Grandmother phrase.) And it's nothing that enhances the plot. The rampant violence, sex, disgusting language (not used a few times for emphasis, but in literally every other line) are unbearable.  Most of it is senseless--there's literally no reason for it.

We took the D-Man (now 14) with us to see a PG-13 film recently, and among other things I would have chosen not to expose D-Man to, I counted at least 5 references to oral sex in the language. Everyone laughed, and while that may be okay for adult humor, is that something you want to hear your 14 year old laughing at?! I was completely embarrassed and in the spirit of Grandmother almost stood up and shouted, "If there is one more reference to oral sex, we are leaving this theatre!"

I felt like a terrible parent for not checking out the movie more thoroughly before going.  It's not that I'm living in a freaking box. But I am ultra-sensitive to the fact that what is portrayed on television and in movies is perceived as "the norm" and "acceptable" by young audiences. That's how behavior is modeled, and of course, it's what's cool.

He needs to know all about sex, drugs, alcohol, and to a greater extent, he'll be making decisions about those things on a regular basis. But seeing them treated so irreverently in movies doesn't contribute to the cause.

D-Man wants to go to a PG-13 movie with his friend today, and of course I'm thinking "Today's PG-13 is like way beyond what would have been in the last decade's rated R. What the heck is in this film?" 

I just found a website called Parent Previews, and although I'm not interested in someone else's judgement on what's appropriate and what's not, each movie review lists explicit details about each occurrence of violence, sex, reference to sex and language. I love it because it gives me the chance to make the call--not who is rating movies.

If you have a teen or tween at home, it's a great resource. Even if you want to see if you should waste your money on a movie full of crap just for the heck of it (not because it's part of a compelling story), you should check it out too. http://www.parentpreviews.com/

Sadly, I may have never seen Dirty Dancing if Al Gore was quicker to invent the Internet and spread it around virally back in the late '80's. Grandmother would be writing those reviews herself. I'd hate to see her face if she saw what our middle school audiences were exposed to now.

8 comments:

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Makes you wonder what's going to bother D-Man in this regard some 25 years from now or so, eh?

Erica@PLRH said...

The kids bugged us to watch "McGruber." We weren't about to pay money to see it in the theater so we waited until it came on Fios On Demand. After 15 minutes into the movie, my Sweetie exclaimed, "That's enough!" and turned it off. He's never done that before. I'm sorry to say that I don't even know what the rating is on that movie.

Parents do need to take an active role is deciding what their kids watch. And that is a very personal decision. I know a mom of an 8 yo that won't let her son watch "Avatar" because a body is cremated in the beginning. Where as I would have issue with an 8 yo watching the battle scenes. I know another mom of a 3 yo that tells me "Avatar" is her daughter's favorite movie.

Everyone has their own opinions, morals, guidelines, etc... Stick to your own!

nursemyra said...

I'm just grateful I don't have to make those decisions any more

Poindexter said...

Here's a weird one. The year was probably 1974-ish and I probably would have been in 7th grade. In a special film presentation, all the 7th graders gathered together in the school auditorium one day. What was the special film? Oh yes, none other than Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Such a fine selection for a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds. I had nightmares for EVER. I so wish your grandmother had been there to take me out of that auditorium!

M L Jassy said...

I believe 13 is the right age to introduce discussion of sexual activity. I also believe parents should not raise teens in small towns where there is nothing else to do but get each other drunk and pregnant.

Marvin said...

That's a great resource, thank you! We've stopped going to movies, just because they're basically created by uncouth idiots, for uncouth idiots. And there's no reason why we should pay $20 to see junk. We can get that free on TV. Maybe this website can help us find some decent stuff amid all the chaff.

25BAR said...

I don't like the violence and foul language. But the sex, if it is well directed, I love it. Having said that, my friend dragged me to this live sex show in Amsterdam the other day. That, I found disgusting. Rather depressing. I wish I had never gone.

SuziCate said...

It's equally annoying that they have commercials on tv (and before primetime) for penile erectile dysfunction etc....I truly wonder how much those commercials boost their sales.