Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alive

Yesterday morning I went to Emerson Point Preserve, one of my favorite places in Manatee County. Laced with enchanted mangrove trails along the Terra Ceia Bay, a view of the grand Skyway Bridge in the distance and an upland trail through a transitioning habitat, it's diverse and full of subjects for any inspired photographer. I didn't bring my camera yesterday. I'm glad I didn't. I was able to focus on all the senses, and found some extraordinary things.

The night before we were fortunate to get drenched with a heavy storm. When the rain hits and soaks in, the world rejoices. Emerson was alive with sounds, smells and colors. Everything looked so bright. 

Seven Roseate Spoonbills stood on the side of a shrinking pond that still didn't get nearly enough water to restore the normal levels. Tracks from a wandering armadillo were clear enough to observe from dig to dig, where it had scraped a string of three inch holes searching for a tasty dinner, each laced with a thin line from its receding tail.

Recently the upland trail had been burned. Prescribed fire is a popular habitat management tool here in Florida, where invasive plants are destroyed and pine flatwoods are stopped from the process of succession to hardwood hammocks. Because of the rain, the smell of the burned earth was ripe again, and filled my nose with the scent of a raging campfire the morning after. Beautiful.

The wild limes, a native plant which doesn't actually bear limes, were blooming with clusters of tiny flowers. As I approached each wild lime, a sound like a muffled airstrip grew louder. Hundreds and hundreds of bees were pollinating them, and no matter how close I got, it wasn't close enough to disturb them from their deliberate work of working the small blossoms. Incredible.

I love how the world becomes even more alive after the rain. Although I'm not sure if the plants and creatures are sure of what they're missing, when it comes, they buzz with gratitude and celebration.

6 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That is really fascinating about the bees. I think you're right about not having the camera. You may not have felt the experience in the same way at all.

Marvin said...

Such a lovely description!

M L Jassy said...

I love the phrase 'wild limes'.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

This is such a beatifully written post - I can see it accompanying one of those amazing BBC documentaries about nature! Actually, wish you had some photos of the bees taken!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh my gosh, this is so beautifully written, all the senses get tickled. I can just hear those bees making a huge sound.

ballast photography said...

I love how you didn't focus on all of the lost shots you missed by forgetting your camera...a blessing in disguise, for sure. What a wonderful word picture you painted for us, here. It made me want to return to Florida!

I'm glad I took the time to read this this morning...I am at a waystation enjoying my last internet for many days...which will serve to fine tune my own senses, I'm sure :)