Friday, February 20, 2009

IT Madness

I love our IT guys at work. But I would never want their jobs...most precisely because of people like me who are always bugging them.

I like to think I make a big time effort to correct most problems before I seek help, but I use a lot of "server hogging" software and they despise the marketing side of things. If they had it their way, all e-mails would be plain text and life would exist only in numbers and back end programming. And strangely, in their world, those things would be enticing for people we're trying to convince to give money, join the cause, make a difference, etc.

But I have to give it to them: they are fast, witty and reliable. Like today, when our terminal services were interrupted and I had the inconvenience of not being able to log on at 6:40 a.m. from my home (a time when most normal people are working...HELLO). In less than 8 seconds, I had a speedy reply to my e-mail with the reason for the interruption. Followed by another e-mail when the updates were done. Followed by an IM received at the exact time of my log on (a second after getting the last message) saying "Wow, you don't waste any time."

It's incredible how well they monitor who's doing what, who has sent what, whose streaming audio is slowing the server down for everyone. I'm just wondering, can they see me when I'm in the bathroom?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hilarious! If we all switched to plain text, nobody would have to buy a new hard drive for years. It would probably cause the hard drive industry to collapse.