Monday, February 16, 2009

Assaulted by Girl Scouts


Walking out of Publix with a couple bags of groceries, I was literally rendered speechless by a pair of uniformless Girl Scouts who were in my face like Mike Tyson screaming at me to buy cookies. "Screaming" is so not an exaggeration, my friends. My ears felt like I'd been at an acid rock concert for a few hours.


They continued to follow me as I tried to smile at them and muster a quiet "no thanks" and make an escape. One of them, with a most obnoxiously contorted facial expression said, "How can you refuse to buy from such cute little girls?" (Can I be a big meanie and say that with that demeanor, she was hardly cute?) I almost said, "Just like this," as I finally made it free.


Now let me just say that I am a big fan of the Girl Scouts. I love the entrepreneurial spirit instilled in them and the very important character and confidence building activities they are engaged in through the program. But how about some sales training? This was over the top and had I been in the mood to purchase a 500 calorie per cookie box of Girl Scout delights, this approach would have certainly dissuaded me.


Watch out people....they're aggressive this year!

4 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

I'm going to take the cash out of my wallet so I won't be tempted. It's very hard to say no to Thin Mints in a moment of weakness (although those little screamers would have irked me too)

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I cannot wait until my pumpkin turns six. Because you'd better believe that we will be sitting outside the Harris Teeter selling cookies to everyone. And hopefully, you'll be living in Charlotte at that time and you can join us.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that they are already teaching the young girls to sell using sex. :( What is this world coming to? I never heard that line before!!
Another issue I have; someone may want to start developing a more healthy cookie. We won't have enough room for people to live on this planet with all the obesity that is happening. What are we teaching our children of the future. Get fat and sell yourself :)

Anonymous said...

thin mints straight out of the freezer=godly.

obnoxious, overly aggressive girl scouts=kill them and take their thin mints!