Saturday, February 7, 2009

Do home improvements really take time?

I can be too impatient at times, but do home improvements like new cabinets (and basically an entirely new kitchen) really take more than one day? We live in a small, adorable house that I love, but since it was built in the mid 50's, it could use a few changes. Honestly, should more than one afternoon be involved? I just can't deal with the mess--or even the thought of it.

Here are some occasionally hilarious home quirks that we accepted when we bought our house:

Quirk A: No dishwasher. It would be easy enough to add one (especially since husband is also married to EcoLab), but that would involve an entire kitchen redo to make the space for it. After 4 years of enjoying our humble abode, I announced today that I'm ready to tear the wall out, start the project, and finish it...by this afternoon...complete with new cabinets and countertops. I'm told that it's not possible.

Quirk B: The washer and dryer are actually in our second bathroom. That's right folks, I could sit on the toilet and fold clothes (but do not, I swear it).

Quirk C: No molding. I need molding. Maybe that's what we can do today. That's a one day project, right?

A new roof, air conditioner, great yard & other perks and personality add to the reasons I love our home. I guess if we want to keep sane in the long-run, I'll have to grow a little patience and get crafty and creative. After all, these days, I'm pretty grateful to have a place to live.

No comments: