Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Double the Sushi

My dad came to town last weekend, and we really enjoyed our time together. Visiting the always lovely Robinson Preserve; taking a driving tour of Anna Maria Island through Longboat Key and downtown Sarasota; and grabbing a bite to eat on the outdoor patio at The Sungarden on Siesta (Gropius gives it 4 stars). We even got to enjoy the various bizarre running styles of the tired athletes finishing up the Sarasota marathon.

An embarrassing moment: the 5 minutes it took to complete the delivery of the sushi that was ordered at Saijo. You know those ginormous boats that come with very large orders? Well the four of us, including one child, received two of them PLUS two extra plates. It was slightly more food than would be required to feed an entire village for a week.

In addition to the gluttonous portion that is usually ordered and consumed during one of my family's sushi trecks, there was a tiny miscalculation in the number of pieces we thought we were getting, resulting in double the fun. I was grateful to be at a table outside, in a rapidly darkening evening.

I don't think we're going to hell for this, but after my two recent explorations of the poverty of 3rd world countries (seeing Slumdog Millionaire and reading What is the What), food and how lucky we are to have it is right there at the top of my consciousness.

All in all, I'll give the weekend 4 stars, but I need to go volunteer at the Food Bank to work off the karma.

No comments: