Sunday, October 12, 2008

Your Dead Plants Are Just Charming, Lowes

So we did a little landscaping this weekend. Several stubborn bushes on the side of our house have been living and growing there for years, despite a disgusting black funk on their leaves. I'm sure they were just the wrong plants in the wrong place. Husband dug them out and we needed some replacements.

Now Lowes, don't get me wrong, I know the market for landscaping and home improvement isn't huge with the economy the way it is. But I was just a tad annoyed that most of your plants were non-natives, requiring huge amounts of water or fertilizer, and half of your plants were dead. The rose aisle was a trip. Most of the rose plants featured stems with no leaves and perhaps a stray browning flower. My personal favorite (which I sincerely regret not having a camera to document) was the sale rack, displaying plastic containers of 100% dead plants. The crunching sound I heard when I touched them may be the closest I get to experiencing the Fall here. But I didn't want to pay for the experience.

...And I'll add that when I picked up a pumpkin, the stem literally broke off in my hand. Rotten?

If you want to survive the slump, dear Lowes, please start stocking some living items and perhaps you could even consider a few Florida natives.

No comments: