Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Halloween "Edge"

Is it just me, or are you finding it a little harder to get in the Halloween spirit this year?

Three things out of the ordinary for our fam this year:

1. I decided to forgo one of the charming (yet dwindling) local pumpkin patches and buy a stem-rotted pumpkin from Lowes. It wasn't a move I fretted about later, either. It was easy and it got the job done.

2. I struggled finding the momentum to haul down the Halloween decorations from the attic. When they came down, I didn't pull my usual stunt of going out to buy more.

3. We didn't even discuss having our regular Halloween party. And Halloween is on a Friday night this year. A little girl from down the street (who is perpetually walking around any time of year with a candy bar or chips in her mouth) has asked me repeatedly if we're having the party. For the millionth time: "NO!"

What's the deal? I can't figure it out, but we're just not into it this year. Maybe it's because the young one isn't so young anymore...and he wants to dress up as a girl. (Something I'm cool with but Husband is a little leary of.) Or it could be the fact that we're all scared enough by the economy. We're facing enough blood-sucking ghouls for real with the headlines every day.

We did send out Halloween cards to a few folks we don't get to see very often. A gesture which Husband freaked out about. "WHAT? Christmas cards once a year are one thing...now I have to sign HALLOWEEN cards?" A comment which solicited the quick command, "Yes. Sign them!"
Although the deed was done and the cards were mailed, it still didn't get us in the spooking mood. Are you?

No comments: