Friday, October 3, 2008

The Week in Review

I'm having a slight case of blogger's block but have missed out on the therapeutic benefits of near-daily interaction with the screen, getting things off my chest. Here are my observations from this week in review:
  • Telling the truth is so much easier than not telling the truth. Except for a few tiny white lies that slip out every now and then to protect the innocent from unnecessary insult, I avoid lying at all costs. I can't say the same for some kids, who insist on thinking they won't get busted while looking you right in the face, popping out a ginormous bald-faced lie. The same is true of politicians. They stare right into the camera and puke out a big one. Both kids and politicians know they're going to get busted in the inevitable fact-checking stage, but somehow keep the up the game. It's a mystery. And it's a mystery that greatly complicates the world, quite unnecessarily.
  • People who repeatedly leave voice mail messages about non-urgent matters, on work voice mail and on cell phone voice mail, over 4 times in the same day, do not increase chances of getting called back. In fact, they actually trigger the opposite response. If you're not getting a call back, it either means I am very, very busy or that you have called me 47 times already about the same thing and we're not getting anywhere.
  • I'd rather be in Gainesville this weekend. Hearing about a friend's trip to G'ville for a wedding reminded me that it's been too long since I've seen Payne's Prairie, Devil's Millhopper, El Indio and the Florida Museum of Natural History. I'm ready for a road trip.

No comments: