Friday, September 26, 2008

Okay, Okay, Hob Nob Was An Oversight

My GOSH. Evidently, a few people were quite perturbed that the recent list of The Most Inspiring did not include Sarasota's landmark drive-in restaurant, the Hob Nob. Although we're still training people to actually post their comments ON Gropius, I've received a phone call and an e-mail or two about the offensive Hob Nob omission, in addition to one comment on the blog itself.

Just to show how remorseful I am, here's a tribute to the much-loved, historic, eat-outside grease joint. I did dine there for lunch today with a group of co-workers. We all agreed how fabulous it was to see so many different types of people there--all sitting on benches, all eating fries and onion rings out of oily paper wrappers.

I freely admit that the Hob Nob grilled cheese with tomatoes rivals any grilled cheese with tomatoes I've ever had. And when our IT guy ordered a chocolate milkshake, he swore we would all be jealous and wish we had made the extra 2 pound commitment as soon as it was delivered; he couldn't have been more right.
And after watching the season premiere of The Office last night, when everyone went on a weight loss rampage (including Kelli, who swallowed a tape worm purchased from Creed), I felt like I was due for some extra calories.

The Hob Nob gave me a chance to soak up the delicious taste of Fall in today's air, while I watched construction workers, Chanel-look alikes with dark glasses and red lipstick, and regular 9 to 5 ers enjoy laughs, catching up and good conversation. It's funny--the food is classic American, but people return for the experience and for the fun of being part of something commonplace yet inclusive.

Have you been to the HN recently? Put it on your list.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you can sit at the Hob Nob and it can be hot as balls outside but the way it was designed, you're never hot. Not sure if it's the wispy air from Biz 41 or the fans that go the right direction. Either way, it's amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Master Blogger, sorry you won't find me any time soon at the Hob Nob. I am not interested in filling my veins with hydrogenated fats and other chemicals I can't pronouce. You might have to drag me their just to have the experience however can one really participate with out eating or is eating the experience? I know of many other placces in Sarasota that you can see a mix of people similar to the HN. It's just a poor excuse for filling your gut with sugar and grease :))

Mixed Reflections said...

Oh live a little!

Anonymous said...

Give me a gut full of sugar and grease any day!

I totally agree with your assessment G&E: The Hob Nob is the great Sarasota equalizer and Temple of integration. Not only does it make you feel like you live in the kind of mythic All-American Shangri-La of "Happy Days," but it's hard not to feel egalitarian and Kumbaya when everyone around you has the same sloppy waxed paper sack of fried goodness and a smile on their face.I say long live the HN and arteries be damned! I can't wait to go again.

Anonymous said...

Now your talking about something with true meaning. The old faithfull Slob Nob. Nothing beats ordering a couple of Nob Burgers on the way out to the boat ramp.Try riding along at 50 mph with a double stack of heaven in one hand, wheel in the other. Trying not to let it slip from the grease after opening up heaven. Also where can you get a double stack burger loaded with fries and--I'm not done yet--a pitcher of beer for around $8.00

Uncommon Blonde said...

Yumm! That place is def good although I'm not a fan of eating there. Breathing exhaust with my cheeseburger is not a pleasent experience.