Sunday, September 28, 2008

Myths About Laundry

Husband is pretty darn good about splitting dreaded domestic chores, and in fact, totally indulged me today in my transformation to Bob Vila. (It was time to paint the house trim and shutters...not tomorrow, not next week, but TODAY, and I MEAN NOW!)

Despite all this touchy feely-ness, there are some urban legends to dispel about laundry in our household. Doing laundry is one of the chores that falls under my responsibilities 98% of the time, but on the occasion that I can't get to part of it/ all of it, or am banning it from my weekend altogether, here are the myths I am facing:

  • If the laundry just stays there long enough, it will automatically wash itself.
  • Pressing "start" on the washing machine = doing the laundry for wife.
  • If you remove clothes from the dryer and just mound them on the chair, they will especially not require ironing. And if they do need ironing, they will magically iron themselves and crawl into drawers or onto hangers.
  • Wife will not get cross or angry when she wakes up from nap and sees that you have "helped" by piling sad, twisted and monstrous heaps of clean clothes onto the above mentioned chair.

I'm not sure if this is uniquely Sarasota/ Bradenton, but I'm willing to bet it's just "uniquely husband." Thoughts?

2 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

Yes, that is uniquely husband ... but you gotta give him points for trying!

Anonymous said...

Must confess that I'm spoiled. Husband does do the laundry, and by that I mean does transfer the wets to the dryer; does take stuff out of the dryer and hang it up before it gets too wrinkled! Have even taught him to put delicates on the drying rack so they don't cook and shrink in the dryer. Kudos! That said, he does manage to get stuff more wrinkled than a sharpei somehow, in spite of best efforts. But you've gotta give him those trying points, I must admit. Yes, Virginia, they really are trainable!!!! Now kids...that's another story altogether! That ball of clean lanudry that magically leaps to the chair in your house is actually a strip mine-size pile of dirty duds that will sit on same chair for months in my house...until 1) kid runs out of clean underwear and sox or 2)mother can't stand it anymore and throws the stinky mess into the wash. Also a pet peeve: that laundry will sit in the dryer (you mean that isn't just another clothes drawer?) until someone needs the dryer again! grrrrrrrrr. RL