Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Window Boxes, Rocking Chairs and Skies

I can usually count on these three unrelated images to reinstitute a feeling of peace.

Flowers and soil attached to the window bring a bit of wildness close to the house, blending manmade structure with a small dose of nature-made inhibition.

There were some good ones last week during our travels.





Windows in the historic district of Charleston


Maybe it's the old subconscious memory of being rocked as a baby that keeps me loving the image of a rocking chair--even when the chair itself might not have been so comfortable.

 


Rocking chairs on the dock in Charleston outside of the Marriott, a one night's stop on our way north to NC

D-Man and Husband chillin' out in rocking chairs on the porch of the beach cottage in NC


I love it that, like life, skies are constant only in their everchanging cloud formations and colors. Somehow, it just works from the vantage point of the human spirit. I find a sort of comfort in that.  Summer in the Southeast is responsible for some pretty dramatic skies--there's a lot of power in those clouds, and they always complete the landscape.

If only the land or ocean could say to the sky,"You complete me." They totally had the patent on that before that creepy Cruise ever said it in that rediculous Jerry Maguire scene. (Sorry, fans of Jerry Maguire and Tom Cruise...can you ever forgive me?)
 
Cotton candy cumulous clouds over the Atlantic Ocean


Subtle sunset over Atlantic Beach


  Not so subtle sunset over Charleston

Summer sky over Fort Sumter, off the Charleston coast, where the Civil War began

13 comments:

M L Jassy said...

Question: is this where the dance "The Chaleston" comes from?

Comment: 'Husband' is hot. He would look great as a bald person.

Sigh: I'm so, so fond of window boxes.

Erica@PLRH said...

Those window boxes are gorgeous. Envy. I'm horrible with plants.

I've always loved looking at the horizon where the sky meets the ocean. They make the perfect pair.

I'm so not a Cruise fan.

Poindexter said...

All I can say is TC and RZ deserved each other in that aforementioned movie.

But, on to more pleasant things. Yes, your photos bring peace to my morning! (happy smile) Wish I had some graceful window boxes of my own. The hot south Texas heat makes gardening a chore in the summer - need to water the container plants each day and keep them clipped back so they don't stress out.

Hey, what's up with this? I need to figure out how to manage my own stress, not exert extra energy managing the stress level of my backyard plants.

I think I'll just glance through those pretty pictures of yours one more time....

thank you!

SuziCate said...

Love this post and the pictures. Love Charleston. Love those window boxes of flowers. Love those rocking chairs on the porch. Again, love this post! Did I tell you I love this post?!

Marvin said...

Lovely pix. The Charlotte airport is full of those rocking chairs. And I can't stand Tom Cruise OR "Jerry McGuire." Liked him in "Minority Report," though. And I want to see "Knight and Day." He can be funny. But he's still a short little ostentatious prick.

nursemyra said...

love that night time sky

ballast photography said...

I love the photos--especially those ships at sunset. I love window boxes, too, but you won't be seeing any photos of mine on the blog this year...so much heat wave carnage.

I am not a Tom Cruise fan, either, but I do love Jerry Maguire--can you ever forgive me? LOL

Anonymous said...

Actually, Gropious, those clouds are stratocumulus

Anonymous said...

Additionally, your spelling of "cumulous" is incorrect. Try cumulus next time.

Mixed Reflections said...

Anonymous, thanks for that excellent spelling lesson and the lesson in clouds. I give you an "A" for ass! Is that spelled correctly?

Mixed Reflections said...

One more thing, Anonymous, you misspelled "Gropious." Try Gropius next time. It's hilarious when such learned folks such as yourself can't identify who you are. If you're going to say something, be proud. Tell us your name.

M L Jassy said...

Oh by the way, Nameless Ass, if you're such a keen editor, couldn't you have picked up my typo in 'Charleston'? If you're going to be a pedant, spread the manure around, mate.

Anonymous said...

really lovely posting, gropy. the different KLOUD formations and colors and the peaceful scenes are so calming. Come & git me, anonymous editor! rl