Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Crossing the Line

I know, I know, it's a big no-no to get political on your blog, unless it's a political blog.  And religion, I shouldn't go there either.  So I'm going to do both in one post.

I was alarmed at my level of upset today when, on the way to work, I passed a man holding a sign advocating for a local political candidate (himself?) reading "Christian Leadership."

See, I have nothing against Christians. Muslims. Buddhists. Jews. In fact, I believe that all of the great religions in the world reach the same basic truths but get there in different ways. Different customs. Different pictures of God. But I happen to see it as the same God. 

I've had enough with division over this in America. It's time for this to end, to move on.

There are still people who still don't understand that we live in a country where there's a separation between church and state. Some of these people are already in office. Some are running for election.  It's usually the same people who don't recognize that "morality" and "ethical" behavior cross religions lines--they aren't any more or less inherent in Christianity than in any other religion. Those who use religion to back up violence or to judge others aren't truly living the messages expressed in their religion. They're practicing an altered version that leads to an unraveling of peace and truth and an uprising in anger and hatred.

By the message on the sign alone, its owner communicated two things to me:
  1. I disrespect one of our country's founding premises--that old separation between church and state thing again.
  2. I disrespect voters who are not Christian.
Religion doesn't have a place in American politics. Morality, ethics--yes. (I'd love to actually see them there.)

My freedom to choose, practice and express my religion is just that--mine.  It's not my business to judge you or prevent you from believing what you hold dear.  We're all prevented from that when our federal, state or county representatives are vocal advocates for one religion above another, in the midst of their public service or while advocating for votes. 

5 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

I agree. My feathers also get ruffled when I see people promoting their business as a Christian company. Once again, business ethics isn't based in religion.

Mr. Charleston said...

Well said.

Kate said...

I love this post. I've seen this theme on a lot of blogs I read which makes me so proud. I'm glad sane and compassionate people are out there and spreading the word!

Marvin said...

Yes indeed, running for political office on a platform of [insert religious beliefs here] is inappropriate. Remember, though, that Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists in 1802 is really the only codification of "Separation of church and state" that is presumed to be contained in the First Amendment to the Constitution. People assume that it's written somewhere legal-like, and it's actually not. (http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html) So, that obnoxious guy is actually well within his rights to campaign and even to govern from a Christian perspective. He's just not allowed to make laws favoring or abridging religion or its practice.

I feel the same revulsion, though, when I see Christians, or Muslims, or whoever, getting all pious and pedantic in their public speech. I just want them to shut up and leave me alone. And advertising themselves as a "Christian business" isn't a plus, in my opinion. It means they're going to hate me for SOME reason, it's just a matter of time until they decide what that reason is.

Liz Mays said...

How eloquently stated and appreciated!