Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hangin' On By a Thread

The final days before a vacation can be...torturous. I love my job, I'm pretty happy with things in general, but I'm just dying to get unplugged from responsibility as I know it for a little over a week. I need it and have been needing it.

For as many lovely weekend trips I plan and take, nothing does it like a stretch of time to actually completely remove oneself from the standard routine.  ...And to be in a faraway place.

It's been nearly impossible to get everything done at work. The constant interruptions of meetings and details are hairy and time consuming. Every time I tick something off the to-do list, something appears as an addition on the bottom, thus the line items are not diminishing. Eeek.

Tonight after 11 hours of working I went to Crispers with the fam. We are hesitant to do grocery shopping since we hate rotting fridge food.  A salad with a twist would be good for us, we thought.  There was a new girl working the register, and though she was super nice and apologetic, it took some time to get the order put in.

After waiting for a looooong time, we wondered what exactly was going on. Hardly anyone was in the establishment, and there were 4 people visibly "working" in the back. Hmmmm.... So to make a long story short, after what seemed like a millenium we received our food. It took forever, you see, because they didn't know it was a to-go order. (And that would add on 20 minutes how?)

We stopped on the way home for me to jog into the grocery store for a few essentials. It was now past nine and we were all exhausted.

The perfect day ended when I dumped most of my long awaited salad on the living room carpet. 

Vacation: it's what's for dinner...soon.  We're glad to have super vigilant neighbors, a large dog who doesn't appreciate intruders and folks to randomly stop in the house. Let's hope that thread holds strong for a few more days.

8 comments:

Marvin said...

But your floors are so clean, you can eat off of them. Which I hope you did. A wait that long, I wouldn't care how much dirt came in my salad, whether I put it there myself or not. ;-)

Hang in there! Just a little longer!

Anonymous said...

Was there something in the water today or what, Gropy? Sorry you had such a stressful end to a really SHISETIMONIOUS 11 hours!!! Thank you again for taking time to help mend my meltdown. I'm so glad you're getting away for your wonderful vacation. Enjoy every minute!!! xoxoxox RL

M L Jassy said...

So annoying waiting for food at dinner time! Import some Thai street-food sellers and there will be good noodle dishes ready in an instant, at all hours. Have a top holiday, you deserve it!

Poindexter said...

i picked up on the stress all the way over here in Texas. yep, something is definitely in the air, just a slightly different flavor here. But it will all be ok. Even better for you, since you'll be relaxing and taking hundreds of photographs. Hope you have a splendidly wonderful time.

Erica@PLRH said...

Hang in there! Your vacation will be well worth the wait! Perhaps you need one more cupcake before you leave town.

Liz Mays said...

Here's hoping time flies until the vacation kick off!

There could be several reactions to that dropped salad, by the way. I wonder what yours was!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Hang in there, dear! Just a few more days and the marvelous 'irresponsibility' will begin! Ok, kidding :) Have a fantastic vacation!!

Uncommon Blonde said...

Hey - at least you're going on vacation! I'm not going anywhere this summer and I am boo hooing over here about it :)