Sunday, December 19, 2010

A New Holiday Tradition

This year I wanted to initiate a special gathering with friends to celebrate Christmas and the completion of another year. Dinner or breakfast--argh. Another reason to eat this time of year is not cool. A party at my place--there's enough stuff strewn all over with decorations and I can't stand the stress of people crowding in here.

So I decided on a Holiday Nature Walk at Robinson Preserve.  Today was the day, and naturally it was the one day in the last twenty years it has rained here in December. Okay, yes, that may be a slight exaggeration about the twenty years. But it is not an exaggeration to let you know how many times I dropped the f-bomb while driving to the preserve.

As the windshield wipers went back and forth, I wondered how many of the 20 great ladies planning to come to Bradenton from Sarasota would make it and how many would actually want to walk in this weather. On a Sunday morning, there wasn't much room for a Plan B.

One by one, they all showed up except two. They were ready for an adventure. Not one suggested we didn't go or looked unenthused. Decked out in varying degrees of rain coats, umbrellas, hoods and quilted jackets, we set out.  We had a unbelievably peaceful walk in the light rain and soft mist through the preserve. Small groups formed and re-formed differently throughout the few miles as old friends saw acquaintances and new people met for the first time.  I enjoyed it all and am thankful to know such a great assemblage of women.

We shared a simple lunch at Atlanta Bread afterward. I returned to the house and read and napped for half of the afternoon. I'm thinking the others did the same.

I love the new tradition and hope to do it every year.

7 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

I LOVED it! Well, I prefer walks in the rain to the blistering sun anyway. I'm all for continuing the Annual Kevin Bacon Holiday Nature Hike.

nursemyra said...

What an excellent idea

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Good to hear no one was discouraged! (except maybe those two that didn't make it) I'm sure the light rain and misty fog added a special touch to the whole experience, after all, falling water is supposed to help with calming down...

injaynesworld said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day and share the spirit of Christmas. I bet the rain made it even better. It sounds like you've started a wonderful new tradition.

Merry Christmas, my friend.

SuziCate said...

Awesome. I must admit that I was antsy about one of our hikes in the rain, and was surprised to find that I enjoyed hiking in the rain. Sounds like a great group of friends!

M L Jassy said...

Awwwwww - that is the coolest idea ever. A great way to balance out all the feasting. I will suggest a walk along the beach when the festivities draw closer.

Marvin said...

Lovely!