Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Other Dog Face, Stream of Consciousness

So I marched down to the neighbor's house this evening and discovered that...
a.) It was not their sweet, old, shiter-spreading dog barking all night.
b.) They have taken in a second dog they found wandering around the street and have relentlessly tried to find its home for 4 days. That's not the dog barking either. They don't know what to do. The shelter here is full, and the pound carries an uncertain future.
The irresponsible person with the barking dog lives behind them. It barks all day. And it barks all night.

What is it with people and animals?!

The sound of the barking, obviously carrying farther in the cold air, resumed by 6:00 p.m. this evening. 
(Wait, does sound really travel farther in cold air? See answer.)

Neither my problem listening to the barking nor the dog's problem being left outside without care are resolved by this knowledge. And I feel pretty bad for the neighbors I labeled as the culprits at this point. They can't escape it, no matter what, because of their proximity.

So I have already established my love for all things animals with you, right? But let's just say I do not like to see pooches (however lovely they are) inside of stores or on airplanes. I looked up in Ann Taylor not long ago--stop me if I told you this already--and saw some lady with a snotty dog in a purse. "WTF," I thought, "this ain't no PetSmart."

Last week a plane bound for Phoenix landed in Pittsburgh because an 89 year old passenger's dog decided to let itself out of its little kennel. It bit another passenger and the flight attendant. Really? What the hell are dogs doing on planes again?  I forgot.

I feel sort of two-faced about the whole thing. My dog is a part of my family and I feel that pets should be treated as such. But there are certain places meant for humans--like places with tight spaces in which you've paid for a seat (and cannot escape) and places selling new goods or food you don't want to have touched by pet dander or hair.

Is that fair?  OMG! The dog stopped barking...

...Never mind, something was just loud on the tv.

7 comments:

Mr. Charleston said...

Probably, if you look you will find that the barking dog is tied up. Makes me sad to think about it.

nursemyra said...

Are you going to contact the owners of that dog (now that you've ascertained who they are?)

M L Jassy said...

I saw a hilarious ad on Youtube for Doritos: a labrador put his 'anti-barking collar' on a guy and then took his Doritos.

Just get the noisy neighbour an early Christmas present: the anti-barking collar, available from good pet stores.

Another handy tip: wear ear plugs.

Uncommon Blonde said...

Although I am not an animal person myself (I know, you're shocked by this news), I cannot stand for animals to be mistreated or neglected. I also agree with you about pets being in present in stores and airplanes though, I think it applies to restaurants as well ...

Audubon Ron said...

Well, huh! I was fix'in to go to your neighbor's and kick some darriere.

Marvin said...

I have never traveled with a pet. It wouldn't occur to me.

We see people with accessory dogs (purses, baby seats in shopping carts) a lot in FL. They act like they're allowed to do that, even in businesses with "No Dogs" posted on the door. It's annoying. They're like bicyclists - they think rules don't apply to them.

I call the sheriff every time a neighbor is rude with their dog (letting it bark all night). A visit from the sheriff usually sets people straight. If not, repeated visits do, and then they usually move away (they're often renters who don't give a shit).

SuziCate said...

We used to have a dog that we loved tremendously...she was a HORRIBLE barker...we had to resort to a bark collar. Fortunately, our current pooch is not a barker. Now, I listen to other neighbors dogs bark and howl. I am sympathetic to them, probably only because I have been on the other side...I don't know why they haven't used bark collars. I guess some people don't consider them humane. I love dogs, but I too do not like to see them in restaurants or stores unless they are service dogs or are in pet stores. I have seen (on more than one occasion) women with their small pooches in strollers at the mall!