Sunday, October 18, 2009

Permission to Chill

This weekend I let myself into the door of relaxation, and although I thought about work, two boards and a few unfavorable specks of crap in life, I didn't indulge any of those details for more than fleeting moments at a time.

I literally watched life flash before my eyes on Facebook with all of the mid-October happenings around town, but chose to stay still.

The excitement this weekend was limited to a gorgeous black snake I caught after it was sighted fleeing from the lawn mower. Letting it down in the grass, the speed of his climb through the corner yard shrubbery was exhilarating somehow.

A cool breeze--almost edible--came through the windows and my Saturday nap was something I didn't feel guilty about. Afterward I saw palm warblers land in a disorganized but perky group in the backyard, flitting about the fall garden as they picked off insects. I noticed the bird feeder emptying without seeing who landed there to eat. And I finished a painting of Cedar Key I started several weeks ago.

The sensation of a cold nose and cheeks on a Sunday morning Robinson Preserve walk reminded me that there is a world beyond summertime. The windy change felt invigorating and calm to me at once.

After struggling to get my buns outdoors for exercise for the past few weeks, I'm finally feeling the rush of physical exertion tugging at the mind so that it's no longer a forced action but one I look forward to. Yes, the cooler weather helps and so does a mindset that gives me the permission to just chill.

3 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful! Much more relaxing than 75% of my weekend. You had to get something in about a snake, didn't you?

Uncommon Blonde said...

I feel relaxed just reading this! Quite the artistic talent you are ...

Anonymous said...

So glad you got to really relax for a change without feeling the need to be all things to all people 24/7! Your painting is so beautiful, I hope you'll do more. I know that Bob Ross hopes you'll do more and that this is just the beginning of a less stressful agenda for your weekends! love ya!