Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random College Memory

What sparked this note of remembrance in my brain? No idea. But I was just thinking of my Economics professor. The room held around 150 people and was the sort of lecture class where you expected to go in, listen to the prof and be sort of anonymous. No chance of the old geezer recognizing you, even if he had the roster in hand.

We were all curious when he made us hold up a sign with our name on it and get our picture taken the second week of class. The third week of class, things were cleared up for us when he started calling on people to answer bizarre questions. Several tried to pretend they weren't present, but that's when he pulled out the good 'ole photographic memory trick.

"Sexton, I know you're here. I'm looking right at you. And don't even try to look at Susie for the answer."

Smart guy. But what a freak. Now why did this pop in out of nowhere from the recesses of 12 years ago?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you recently saw "Doubt" wherein Meryl Streep plays a creepy, punitive and pedantic Catholic school principal? rl

Erica@PLRH said...

Consider yourself lucky. Not everyone can remember college that clearly.

I once took a class called Theology of Moral Responsibility (at a Catholic university). The prof was a priest. He asked us to fill out information cards and at the bottom to write something unique about ourselves. That was an easy one for me. I looked around the classroom and then wrote down, "I'm the only redhead in the class." When he collected the cards he asked me where I got my red hair from. Without thinking, the answer I heard my parents say a hundred times flew out of my mouth, "The Milkman."

He called on me by name for every class after that.

Unknown said...

i remember the prof and the class and sitting next to you, but i don't remember the incident. i'm sure i answered his question flawlessly though.

...why didn't i realize the importance of economics back then?? if only i had gotten through the environmental escapism phase earlier!