Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Bad Me

I never intended for Gropius to be a confession board, and in general, I'm a pretty nice and thoughtful person--not a whole lot to confess. But today, I was bad. Really bad. Bad in a way that makes me embarrassed, and somehow I feel that if I share it with you and you also think I'm bad, maybe I'll get what I deserve...other people thinking I'm bad. How do you like that, psychologist and coach readers? You could write me up as a case study.

So I finally finished this certification program today I've been working on for almost 2 years. Not a huge deal, but it involved a pretty decent time commitment and some driving. After being in class all day on a Saturday and driving back the long way (by mistake), I was tired but excited--sooo excited--to be done.


I pulled up in the driveway to see a big, fat home improvement husband had undertaken with the thought of pleasing me. But I hated it. It was one of those perfect communications about something that needed to be done. In the discussion stage, we each knew the other understood exactly what we meant by the word "trellis," only we didn't.

(As in I totally didn't mean that I envisioned two gigantic unpainted wooden structures drilled to the front of the house.)

So I freaked out and was really mean about it. I apologized a bunch but it still didn't take out the meanness of my initial really bad reaction. Have you ever done something like this? How did you redeem yourself?
Feel free to tell me what an ass I am in the comment section. I deserve it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. picture those two, giant, unpainted structures covered with morning glory vines or bougainvillea or jasmine or other luxuriant and fragrant flowering beauties. Still mad? If so, you and home improvement hubby definitely need to talk!!!! You've been pretty raw emotionally lately, GvE. Sometimes, you just need to step back and regroup. I'm there for ya. (the fat silver haired friend who loves you.)

Uncommon Blonde said...

Oh I've been there! That's a tough one but just keep apologizing and he'll understand.

Punch said...

No good deed goes unpunished.