Monday, August 25, 2008

My Hair is Falling Out!

Is it too much work? Too much worry? Not enough peanut butter?

I'm not sure what's going on, but every few years I go through a major hair loss episode. The year I graduated from college it was so bad I went to the doctor to get all sorts of blood tests. Nothing showed up, thankfully.

Last month, I did a major hair chopping. A Russian woman who owns a beauty store here in Bradentuky hacked it off while she told me all sorts of interesting dirt about her family. It was a very relaxing session...No one else in there, and I trusted her with my hair as she talked away about her son and her sister living in NYC. She did a great job. Though I must admit, I don't feel quite like me, I'm getting used to it.

Except when I comb my hands through it, I'm getting strands of it that come out. I think there are some current events that may be causing the hair loss. Allow me to ponder the cause as I blog. I believe the potential events leading to hair loss are...


  • The newfound knowledge that my dad, a very reasonable and strongly conservative individual, has just purchased a Harley Davidson motorcyle that he actually intends to ride.

  • The fact that I am serving on 3 committees (2 of which I chair) and 2 boards, work a full time job, and have another full time job at home. (But I love these things!!!)

  • Having the dog wake me up 2 or 3 times each night so that she can run outside and scare a pretend predator out of the backyard.

  • Realizing that I must work at night and on the weekends to feel that I am doing enough.

  • Obsessing over the number of homeless animals in the world.

  • The realization that no matter how much I blog about Gropius, Ramey's cat will never have a name.

  • The new realization that the cat probably does have a name, and that name is Eddie.

The bottom line is this. The world is good. I am extremely fortunate. I love being alive. I want to do as much as I can to help people, animals and the environment. But I worry too much. I'm trying to work on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad wants to enjoy life with the wind blowing in his hair..........hmmm I worry that he is not having a helmet...
Having the wind blow in the hair may couse hairloss!!! You better not expect a ride on the Harley. Maybe I can get a ride if I get theresome day? I am mature but not conservative. Does that count?
Do you think it is safe to let a Russian cut your hair. Maybe you should worry about that?
I truly hope that you can laugh while you worry. Do you?

Anonymous said...

I detest motorcycles and think riding one is a big risk. I hope Scotty can talk some sense into him. As for stress, can you sneak a yoga class in your busy week? That's what I'm trying to do and on the rare ocassions that it happens, I feel all the more better.

~Bonnie Blue

Uncommon Blonde said...

Oh how I relate! I worry to much about things I can't control. I also suffer from overcommit-itis - 2 boards, and several committees later I wonder if my sanity will still remain.