Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Have I Ever Told You About Patricia?


So Patricia is an older woman I have had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with on several occasions. She is quite lovely, with a beautiful voice that knows all of the elegant songs of the past 50 years. She has the propensity to sing quietly in public, completely uninhibited.

Patricia often muses on what flowers would make the best arrangements for a church bouquet and on favorite sayings from her late mother.

Patricia can tell you easily about the joys of children and the sadness she feels over their early loss of innocence these days. I adore her perspective on life and the bucket hat and long skirt she wears.

Perhaps one of Patricia's finest qualities is her raw honesty. Why just this weekend, we were sitting and chatting. Our mutual friend (also one of her caretakers) was discussing her recent experiences with men. Patricia seemed to be staring off into space, not listening.

"How is your tea, Patricia? We were just talking about my boyfriend. I thought you might be interested in hearing as well."

The reponse? "No, no I'm not really interested. I could care less."
Yes, it's a little raw, but not as brash as "How about a nice cup of shut the hell up." That just wouldn't be her style.

6 comments:

larry b. said...

What is it with blogs. I tink you all have a sickness. You work at a computer all day, and what do you call it " chat, e-mail?" Then you come home and make up suff or tell tales of people that most of us have no friggen idea who they are,or if there even real! But on top of that you put it online so your deranged thoughts and equally deranged select group of friends al can live in " Your Happy Place "
Death To The Computer

Mixed Reflections said...

I thought my post was remotely funny...but this, Larry, this is funny. Thank you for your support. Patricia thanks you for your support.

Anonymous said...

Larry, you're right. You're sick and twisted but you're still right. Looking fwd to more posts, Stussy.

~Lucy Gourmet

Anonymous said...

This Patricia obviously isn't my ex who, as an English major, would never have said "I could care less" when what she really meant was "I couldn't care less". And she obviously isn't the Patricia who used to beat me up in the playground in fifth grade just to get my attention, because your Patricia is older than that Patricia. It sounds like I could get along with this Patricia because she seems similar to my blatantly honest old grandmother, but her name was Florence and I can't imagine her as a Patricia.

Notary sojac a scriberima infinita.

Anonymous said...

BTW: I just had a delicious serving of Kiss My Ass. Have you ever had that? It's just delicious.

~Lucy Gourmet

Anonymous said...

Oh Lucy Gourmet, I adore you. I had a delicious cup of that too, after reading about Grandma Florence.