Monday, January 31, 2011

A Startling Discovery

This weekend as we were loading groceries in my car, Husband discovered what used to be pasta, mushroom wraps and salad in the hatch area. It was one of those "ohhhh yeah" moments.

I'm just glad these expired culinary delights were packaged in the good, industrial strength Ziploc bags. That would be the reason the smell hadn't hit the crowd, so to speak.  The soupy remains were a horrific sight and your guess about the aroma would be as good as mine. I don't want to go there.

Texting while driving is one thing, and having your nostrils fill with 2 week old leftovers from an event is another. It could be dangerous. You get it.

I'm glad the two of us found the remains before they were discovered during my work day. My car might inherit the namesake of my very first Honda Civic from high school--Skunky. After leaving some mushroom poppers from El Adobe on a hot summer's day and evening, my car quickly soaked up some grossness. I was reminded of this daily for half a year by the friend I used to take to school.

I'm still the worst about leaving stuff in my car. These used-to-be-leftovers weren't even good enough for the chickens across the street.

7 comments:

Mr. Charleston said...

I once had a friend who was a heavy smoker and beer drinker. He threw all the empties, and everything else, into the back floor of his two-door Camaro. Finally, after months, maybe years of neglect, one day he went looking for something in the back seat and found mushrooms growing out of the carpet. Time to clean the car. He had to pay a service double to touch it.

Erica@PLRH said...

Ew, that's gross. I just drove my former SUV that eldest son now uses. It smells like a boys' locker room. Yuck.

M L Jassy said...

Not the most enlightening Eureaka moment. 'Mushroom wraps' sound extremely delicious, mind - when fresh.

nursemyra said...

"soupy remains" makes me want to gag

Liz Mays said...

I had a gallon of milk go sour in my trunk once because I forgot it was in there. That stench stuck in the car for months in spite of steam cleaning multiple times.

Marvin said...

Hurrrk. I remember many abandoned grocery bags in my trunk, over the years, usually the result of shopping late at night and emptying the vehicle at night.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Yuck :( Mr. Charleston has a worse story though lol