Monday, May 3, 2010

Amazing People & Programs Make This World Go Round

When you consider special and underserved people and places needing someone to speak for them, nonprofit organizations are always there to make voices heard. Thank you for sharing so many organizations and missions with me through your comments. In my daily work, I get to learn about and work with local nonprofits all over my area, but I seldom get to learn about your personal charitable passions.

The random number generator spit out 2 for me, which means that Poindexter's nonprofit, Camp for All, will get a $20 donation from Gropius. The impressive program of this camp for special needs children and adults is one she's witnessed first-hand.

Camp For All works in partnership with other nonprofits to provide self-esteem, self-awareness and independence to special needs kids and adults through participation in recreational, therapeutic and educational programs. The camp provides a fully-accessible environment with no barriers, tailored to meet the needs of diverse campers.

I don't always remember how fortunate I am to be free from disease and to have full use of my body. I guarantee I wouldn't forget to be grateful if someone in my household had physical limitations. It's odd that so many of us grow up without a single noticeable impact from genetics or accidents-- with so many things left to chance in our development and our environment, it wouldn't seem we could all be so lucky.

When I think of those who do have special needs, I have a great respect for what they do and accomplish in spite of the world not being quite as easy to navigate. It's wonderful to know a camp like this exists to make kids and adults feel uninhibited and as part of a caring, empowered group!  Thanks for passing it along, Poindexter.

10 comments:

injaynesworld said...

What a great thing to do on your blog, and a very worthy recipient.

Gina said...

awesome. :)

Marvin said...

I did a couple summers as a camp counselor for disabled kids. Very educational.

ballast photography said...

Good for you, Gropy, and congrats, Poindexter :)

Poindexter said...

Susie I am so thankful for your generosity and this marvelous idea of yours, spreading awareness of the good works of nonprofits right here on your blog. Thank you, thank you!

M L Jassy said...

Great to hear. Camp it up, Gropy!

Dan the VespaMan said...

Cool idea. Great to know such important places exist.

Erica@PLRH said...

Yeah! What a worthy cause!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. You rock!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I don't always remember how fortunate I am to be free from disease and to have full use of my body

Sadly, I think this holds true for the most of us :(