Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Need Sunglasses in My Living Room

Thank you to those who shared a bit of compassion with me last week. Indeed, it's been a long process of accepting this injustice for which I cannot elaborate. How do I regain control, bring some freshness into daily life, and get a little exercise in the process?

Choose a wild color, slather it all over the living room and and surprise Husband of course!



We've had rust-colored walls for the last 5 years. Picked out the color before we moved in and we've enjoyed it, but the time had come for a change. When I discovered Husband and D-Man would be out for most of the day on Saturday, I was in line at Lowe's before 9:30 a.m., paying for "Ocean On Steriods," my name for the color swatch which ended up all over the most well-utilized room in our little house.

Husband was pretty good about it. He walked in on me 2 hours into the process because he forgot a tool he needed. When I heard the front door open, I had paint all over the tile, the oriental rug was folded all over the place, furniture was pulled into the center of the room scrunching the said rug, and I had managed to christen the Ocean on Steriods on patches of each wall. 

If you could have heard the (very surprised) "Hi honey" as it left this man's lips...

Ocean on Steriods is pretty obnoxious. I've tried to lie to myself in miscellaneous approaches of self-talk over the last 24 hours to convince myself that it's great. "It will just take some getting used to," Gropius. But I actually find myself squinting in here. I need sunglasses in my own living room.

Clearly, doing this all again next weekend won't be as much fun as this was. But it's inevitable. After trying to please me for a while with shaky affirmations of the new color, Husband just proclaimed that it has to go.

What's the craziest wall color you have in your house?  I'm thinking of going with a moss or an olive/blue green. Yay or nay?

18 comments:

Gina said...

ha! I actually don't think it looks too bad. After remodeling 2 houses, I've had my fair share of color mishaps. The latest was what I thought was a neutral green/gray, but when the sun hit it, it turned out to be more of a mint chocolate chip green... sucks we had (stupidly) bought 5 gallons of the stuff! Lesson learned - buying those small samples of paint saves a ton of money.

Liz Mays said...

I actually like the color. I had intended to do something very similar for my small bathroom. But since we put the house up for sale, I opted to just paint it off white.

Anonymous said...

goes nicely with your cedar key painting, don't you think? not so bad...maybe it'll grow on you? rl

hubby said...

I'll make you a deal. i can live in the small bath room thats painted mint chocolate green and everyone else can look at the the eye bleeding blue/green algae I need my sunglasses inside color. And stop trying to be nice. ADMIT IT!

M L Jassy said...

Ocean on steroids had great intentions. I could have handled it just slightly darker: perhaps you could opt for duck egg blue? Seeing you're an amateur ornithologist and all.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Omg, are you serious?? I think the color looks GREAT!!! It also goes great with the other wall color in your room! If I were you, I'd so leave it all there! But this is your house, so of course, you should do what's comfortable for you. But omg, I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, It looks good to me. I like that color. Good choice. But if you're unhappy with it there's one thing to try that might save you the cost of repainting.

Put up some full-sized stickers of exotic sea creatures. Then you'll feel all the excitement of being at Mote aquarium every time you come in the door, but it won't cost you $7. The savings will pay for repainting later if you still feel the need.

And if you want to make it a real experience for your guests, keep a couple of snorkel masks on a table by the entrance.

Notary sojac.

Smokey Stover

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago, I decided our dreary white walls needed color. Analytical engineer husband was not thrilled with the idea, but loved the outcome. (The kids had already prepared him..their rooms are navy blue (was royal blue before that!) and deep red. I can only imagine the layers of paint it will take to cover. Anyway, We went with an almost pea green soup color in the bedroom. To my hubby's utter shock, it is gorgeous. The kitchen and dining is pumpkin butter and the living area is a toasted wheat. One of the bathroom is terra cotta. I wanted the other bathroom to be bright purple, but I sent hubby to buy the paint...it is an off white with a hint of lavender in it. In retrospect, I'd be wearing sunglasses if he'd gotten bright purple!

Unknown said...

LOL you know Gropius, I like the Ocean on Steroids. I love how it perfectly matches the water in that painting. You never know; it might grow on you.

But I'm looking forward to seeing the replacement colour nonetheless. LOL! Thanks for sharing the story, it's cute! I'm glad hubby was a good sport!

Marvin said...

I vote to leave it alone. It's very pretty.

Our house is various shades of buttery yellow, very pale green, light brown, and pale blue. We like to have different walls be different colors in the same room. We use "oops" paint from Home Depot a lot, a gallon at a time. It's fun to experiment. And painting is not difficult.

Leah said...

Actually, I find it so cool. I love the color. I think husband will approve of the moss green. xoxo

PS... Happy belated mother's day! :-)

Poindexter said...

Hmmm, haven't painted my house yet. We've done plenty of other things to it, but I'm saving that enjoyable chore for another day. We're selecting light brownish-greyish walls with pale pink ceilings for the front two rooms and have not finished selecting our color palette for the remainder of the house. It is evolving.

hope you like the next color choice better. Isn't decorating the most fun?

Erica@PLRH said...

I actually likes the way it looks online. I guess that I would think otherwise in person, eh?

Be careful with green. It's a tricky pain color. Just ask my hubby about the green bathroom the next time you see him.

Brian Weiner said...

Pittsburgh Steeler gold...and being from Massachusetts, we are not fond of the Steelers nor their colors.

That having been said, The General chose to follow a path similar to Gropius, only to find herself horrified by the results. I returned home that night to find her, and our two youngest children, in tears for a plethora of differing reasons. (You might have thought that they expected to be executed by firing squad upon my return from the office.)

Instead, one professional painting contractor and a number of painted strips later, our very large and family centric New England TV room was restored to a peaceful terra-tone color.

nursemyra said...

My bedroom is a lovely shade of green, you can see it in the background of most of the friday photos.

My artist friend Tracey does wonderful wild things with colour - an orange dining room that I really coveted in one house and a lounge painted in mint and lolly pink in another - doesn't sound great but it was sensational.

ballast photography said...

Maybe my monitor isn't conveying the full intensity of OOS--but it looks pretty great from here, especially with the fish picture. Are you sure it must go?

injaynesworld said...

Oh, my...

I personally love a very pale yellow on the walls. I just find it cheerful.

Unknown said...

I like the color. Came out well in the photo. What if you left one wall this color? Colors always change depending on what is around them...if you changed the rust to soft vanilla, the blue might tone down.....