Sunday, February 6, 2011

Observations

How's this for a random assemblage of weekend thoughts and observations?
  • Apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed Christina Aguilerra's bizarre rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl. (Granted, that's the only thing about the Super Bowl I'll notice. Who's playing again?)  I can't drum up support for the argument that it is really necessary for today's singers to see how long, weird and screwy they can make various staples of American heritage.
  • Where the hell did this weekend go?
  • Today I thoroughly enjoyed a Dali Diva Sunday. We took a short drive up to St. Pete to enjoy the newly opened Dali Museum and a bite to eat at the Red Mesa Cantina, one of my favorite places to have a tofu, jalapeno and pineapple taco. Okay, it's the only place I can have that. Doesn't it sound repulsive? It's so good you wouldn't believe it. (Really, you wouldn't believe it.)
  • I know it's silly--I'm not a spring chicken anymore--but I still find it unsettling to see photos of long lost acquaintances with kids and husbands. Are they really parents? Wives?  Last night I found out something really, really weird about a man I dated in college. I was sad to hear what's happened to him in the 13 years since I've seen him--rather, so sad to hear of the life he's created for himself. As Gandhi said, "It's never too late to be what you might have been." I hope that's true for him.
  • I fell off the exercise bandwagon for like 2 days and now I can't drag myself out to do it. How weak is that?
  • Back to Dali--yes, I'm bouncing around--what a strange but fascinating cookie. I tried to read his autobiography years ago but got a little nauseated at the arrogance. Let's just say he was a tiny bit self-absorbed. I guess the magnitude of his work in terms of both artistic and psychological brilliance can help me overlook that. Check out Pines Lake Redhead blog for a nice account of our trip. The new museum was so well thought out in its design.  And check out this photo of a museum docent who was modeling her handmade shoe hat, one of four in her collection:


I'm a little concerned about the feng shui of that particular arrangement--an upside down shoe on your head. What kind of energy is that attracting her way?

I'll leave you with that deep thought and wish you a week of good things.

13 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Husband complained about the rendition of the National Anthem too.

Today was a good day. I can't wait to see what comes next!

Anonymous said...

words escape me. I just cannot conjure up an apt response to the shoe-hat look. Is it supposed to be Dali-esque? My prediction is that it will not become a high demand fashion accessory.

tattytiara said...

Oh I would love to see that new museum - I actually went to the old one twice on two separate visits to St. Pete's. Who am I kidding, I'd love to do anything in St. Petes in February!

nursemyra said...

Both the museum and the cantina sound great. I love pineapple!

SuziCate said...

I think she is inviting people to step all over her!

Marvin said...

LOL I'm glad you had fun! But pineapple is inappropriate in soooo many dishes. Like that one. ;-)

Audubon Ron said...

Okay, that shoe is hat is an inch and one-half weird.

Nope, I give it a full yard of weird.

M L Jassy said...

Dali, lots of melting clocks and theatrical moustaches. Makes me sleepy, all those dreamlike scenes. Great idea for a day-trip: jalapenos and art. Hot stuff!

Mr. Charleston said...

I'll see them both when I come down for the St. Pete Grand Prix in April. I loved the old Dali Museum, can't wait to see the new one. There's a fine little cafe on Central. I believe it's called The Garden. Try it sometime.

Oh, most all national anthems these days flat suck.

injaynesworld said...

I used to be such a fan of Christine's, but since she's turned into a bloated wax figure of her former self, I just want to wash her face and tell her to get Back To Basics like she did in her earlier work.

KB said...

What opposite ends of the creativity spectrum the shoe hat and Dali's work represent. The difference is purposeful vision and the talent to communicate it.

The same for many of the sports singers. They seem to think being weird with their vocalizations puts them in the ranks of the creative. I wish they could all feel how much I detest their efforts to personalize our traditional historic music.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Ha! How's that for my love of coinsidences! I've been at a great little Dali exhibition this past weekend!!

As for the shoe... Humm *cough cough*