Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Answer is "No"

  • D-Man: "I thought you said you were going to keep Flanders off the new couch. Remember?"
    Gropius: "No. Don't you remember that the poor thing lived on the streets?"
    (It's been nearly 12 years since she lived on the streets, but I still hate the thought of her starting her life in that fashion. Therefore, every possible convenience should be granted to her, at the expense of people and furniture.)
  • Husband: "Can this be our next bedspread?" (showing me a picture of a Guy Harvey ocean scene that's been sewn into a honky bedspread)
    Gropius: "No."
    (No further explanation required.)
  • Gropius: "Hmmm....can I actually take a vacation day in which I stay in town and do not think about work?"
    Gropius: "No. Obviously."
    (Honestly, what the hell is wrong with me? I did go to the beach today, but I still checked work e-mail several times and will probably end up working for at least 2 hours when it's all said and done.)
  • Gropius: "Really? Do you really have to change the channel and watch bits and pieces of 2 other shows during the commercials? Can't you just keep it on this channel while we watch the entire 30 minute episode?"
    Husband: "No. Obviously."
    (The remote is a sign of power. Silent and powerful power. Power power. It will never be relinquished by the male members of this family...and it must be clutched at all times. And when they give me the remote and say, "Here, put it on what you want to see," it really means, "You'll be asleep in a few minutes so I'll give you this one pretend act of compromise.")
  • Husband: "I bet I can convince you to like football...hmm? Just like you learned to love baseball?"
    Gropius: "No. A million times no. Sorry, love. Also, no to hockey, golf and basically any sport.

    (I made my leap with baseball, but you know, just when I got to really love the team and appreciate all of the players, know them by name, etc.--the Rays went and traded everyone I especially cared about. Nice. I might retract my baseball hots.)

What have you said "no" to recently? Is it firm, or indecisive, like a weak handshake?

7 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

I try to be very definitive with my answers... especially the no's. But I've come to the conclusion that the male ear can't hear the wavelength of female speech.

nursemyra said...

I said "No" to going to work today. Have a nasty chest infection that I really don't need to share around

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Well, I tried to say no to my mom when she proclaimed that I was to get up and go vacuum the apartment (that we just cleaned a few days prior) while the rest of the family watches a movie, but since she got all angry, bitter and emotional because of my no (I had work to do, but who cares, right) and went angrily vacuuming it all by herself I had to stop doing what I was doing and go help her, it probably doesn't count.

Liz Mays said...

One thing I will never waver on is my no on going through the red light. Ain't never gonna happen.

TMI? lol

Marvin said...

Did I mention that I love your watercolor template? Very nice.

I spent a couple days replacing all the light switches in the house, changing them over to white Leviton Decora panel toggles. Then MDW noticed that they click when you move them, no matter how slowly or carefully you move them. Old-style light switches are nearly silent. Not the Decora switches. She doesn't like that. "I'm not changing them again," I said. "How about humming loudly while you flip the switch? Or put your fingers in your ears and move the switch with your elbow." She wasn't happy but I've already spent $200 on switches and outlets, and spent 3 days working on them. Not doing it again.

Marvin said...

And poor Julia must be my sister, because that's what my mother used to do, until I decided that she couldn't guilt me anymore. That was the end, she said. We haven't spoken for 20 years. It's been nice.

SuziCate said...

I've gotten really good at saying no! Sorry your players got traded...just another reason I shouldn't give into sports fascination!