Monday, September 20, 2010

Sometimes I Can't Believe I Make It To Work

It's not so much about the alarm clock, or the fact that I've been up 500,000 times to supervise Flanders' urination needs...or her Cone of Shame...

It's that people drive like such asses.

I can't believe I made it to work today.

Several people pulled out in front of me going like 10 miles per hour, ignoring the fact that I was well on my way at nearly 50. Someone else darted across two lanes in front of me so they could make an immediate right hand turn. And some other crazy man took about 32 minutes to pull off the road, almost coming to a complete stop, when he decided to grace a rental center with his presence.

When people in the far left lane slow to the point of nearly going backwards long before merging into a turn lane--now there's another classic. Gotta experience that one at least once per day.

From the landside, I've just about had enough of landscaping people using their blowers to move sand, trash and other crap out of parking lots and sidewalks, only to blow it directly on my car. I'm really over that.

Okay here it is: I'm grateful to have a car. I'm truly thankful I don't have to endure a two hour ride to work on our pitiful public transportation system. And I'm really appreciative that I get there safely every day. 

I just wish people would stop driving like complete dorks. I feel like I put my finger in an electric socket before I even get to work.

9 comments:

Marvin said...

If you can afford it, I recommend driving a large pickup truck with peeling paint and bullet-hole stickers down the side. The truck should be a dark color. And drive with your brights on all the time. Drive straight at people. Use the horn liberally. Ride their bumper. You will be surprised at how quickly people get out of your way, when all they can see in their rear-view mirror is your headlights and your grille. It worked for me. I miss my truck, and my ability to scatter idiots before me like pigeons.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!! Some drivers are very scary!

Smokey Stover said...

I know what you mean about annoyances on the road. I'm often ticked at drivers who don't allow enough time to get where they have to go and then think everyone should get off the road to make up for their lack of planning. Or drivers who think everyone has the same reflexes as they do and don't recognize that our highways are an extension of our democracy where we have to make allowances for others who are different from us. I don't understand why people beat up their own nervous systems because of what's happening in traffic. It doesn't get one there any sooner and it brings on a bad mood. Better to put on some mellowing music and think about something besides the other drivers. That's what I do when I have to take the fire truck on a run during peak traffic times. If something burns down before we get there it's because of bad drivers, always a good excuse.

Notary Sojac

M L Jassy said...

I think I may get a shock when I return eventually to city traffic.

SuziCate said...

Glad you made it there safely. It's scary some days, I'm sure.

Erica@PLRH said...

University Pkwy is bad enough. i can't even imagine what it's like driving US 41 everyday. And it not even season!

Mr. Charleston said...

I used to fret about annoying drivers. Now I am one.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Oh I really dislike careless driving, so sorry to hear you get to experience it this bad ften. Poor Flanders too, she looks sad in this picture :(

injaynesworld said...

15 years ago I moved from the madness that was Los Angeles to a small rural community in central California. Now getting stuck in traffic means being behind your neighbor's tractor and I couldn't be happier. Now on the rare times I have to go into the city, I feel like I'm in a war zone. You have my sympathy.